Saturday, October 25, 2008

President Faust paid off his mortgage

“President Faust would not tell you this himself. Perhaps I can tell it, and he can take it out on me afterward. He had a mortgage on his home drawing 4 percent interest. Many people would have told him he was foolish to pay off that mortgage when it carried so low a rate of interest. But the first opportunity he had to acquire some means, he and his wife determined they would pay off their mortgage. He has been free of debt since that day. That’s why he wears a smile on his face, and that’s why he whistles while he works.” --President Hinkley To the Boys and to the Men
http://www.lds.org/ldsorg/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=2354fccf2b7db010VgnVCM1000004d82620aRCRD&locale=0&sourceId=cac5605ff590c010VgnVCM1000004d82620a____&hideNav=1

Our mortgage is 5.375% 30 year fixed, and I've gotten the same advice about how much better I could do investing than paying off my house. I'd rather follow President Faust's example.

No comments: